AGATA Umon, Ph.D. / Senior Assistant Professor
Pharmaceutical Sports Sciences Course
Department of Pharmaceutical and Medical Business Sciences
1. Research focus is mainly on building a strong skeleton through the life-long exercise. Current projects investigate factors during growth and how they affect the aging process in bone.
2. Also my current (academically funded) projects investigate the relationships between nutritious food and oxidative stress which refers to elevated intracellular levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) that cause damage to lipids, proteins and DNA.
3. Research in our group is focused on the discipline related to the scholarly study of sport, exercise and related activities from anatomical, biomechanical, developmental, physiological, psychological, sociological, philosophical and historical perspectives.
Our course is also designed to prepare students for a variety of career opportunities in sport, recreation, and leisure services.
After completing this program, students will have the foundation of the skills they need to perform their future job and to solve individual or organizational problems.
1. Agata U, Park JH, Hattori S, Iimura Y, Ezawa I, Akimoto T, Omi N. The effect of different amounts of calcium intake on bone metabolism and arterial calcification in ovariectomized rats, J Nutr Sci Vitaminol, 59(1): 29-36 (2012).
2. Agata U, Park JH, Hattori S, Aikawa Y, Kakutani Y, Ezawa I, Akimoto T, Omi N. The impact of different amounts of calcium intake on bone mass and arterial calcification in ovariectomized rats, J Nutr Sci Vitaminol, 61(5): 391-399 (2015).
3. Iimura Y, Agata U, Takeda S, Kobayashi Y, Yoshida S, Ezawa I, Omi N. The protective effect of lycopene intake on bone loss in ovariectomized rats, J Bone Miner Metab, 33(3): 270-278 (2015).